By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IanT

Here is a list of all the postings IanT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Solid Edge, the latest version.
01/01/2023 13:48:17

I may not be understanding exactly what you are doing Lee - but you can restore a "Used" sketch after you've extruded a part. This is covered in the video I think...

Regards,

IanT

31/12/2022 17:01:29

This SE tutorial has been suggested/recommended elsewhere and I've certainly learned some new approaches from it. Very often it's not enough just knowing what tools are available but how best to apply them - and (at least to me) that has not always been so obvious. It's quite long but worth working through in stages...might be too basic for more advanced users but for folk like me (e.g. still reading "CAD for Dummies" it gives some useful 'best practices'

Solid Edge Tutorial

Regards,

IanT

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
29/12/2022 13:36:40

Nigel - I don't know what exercise you are doing?

As far as I'm aware, there is no "Ordered" (or "Synchronous" ) mode in Draft

Just try opening a 'Draft' document (as I've suggested) and use the 'Sketching' tab and start drawing with a few lines and circles to begin with.

If I can do it, then I'm sure you can too - your TurboCAD drawings are better than I ever managed.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 29/12/2022 13:37:03

29/12/2022 10:46:22

Moment of Hope:

I discovered this evening that SolidEdge has a directly orthographic ( "2D" ) mode - perhaps possible for me.

I've lost count of how many times I've stated that Solid Edge is both a 2D and 3D hybrid CAD system Nigel - but I think it may be worth one last try - although frankly I have no idea what you have tried (and seemingly failed) to do this time around.

Using Solid Edge CE - just open a new "Draft" document and then select the "Sketching" tab on the top line.

You can then 2D draft to your hearts content.

These '2D' sketching tools work exactly the same as when used in '3D' sketching mode, including constraints, dimensioning, keystoke short cuts etc. If the drawing 'page' is too small for you just select a larger page size or a different drawing scale. When finished drawing, you can either just save your work as a native 'Draft' (.dft) file or export it (translate) it to a PDF, DXL or DWG file.

If you need guidance on using SE sketching tools - then just watch any YouTube on 3D sketching - it's the same.

SE Sketching Basics

Regards,

IanT

24/12/2022 14:03:14

I always struggle to find things as 'Stocking Fillers' at this time of year but saw a 'book-holder' (on Thingiverse) that looked a suitable candidate for someone who likes to read in bed with a cup of tea in one hand.

I couldn't download the STL for some reason and rather than mess around, I just copied the idea in Solid Edge. It was a very quick five minute job to get the basic holder drawn but then another fifteen or so, figuring out how to embed the names (which I'd not done before).

Merry Christmas everyone...

IanT

book_holder_dec22.jpg

Thread: Shapr3D - any experience?
19/12/2022 18:50:05

I've just watched some intro videos on Shapr3D and there were certainly some aspects that reminded me of Solid Edge, which only runs on Windows (not Mac or iPad) - although I've no idea if Shapr3D uses the SE 'engine' or not.

However, the "Basic" version of Shapr3D can only export "low-quality" STL and 3MF files - which may be OK for 3D printing but may prove to be very limited beyond that (no DXF files for instance). The 'Pro' version of Shapr3D costs $25/month and obviously offers more extensive file (and possibly other) functionality that the free 'Basic' version does not.

So, providing you have access to a Windows 10/11 system, I don't see any advantage over SE Community Edition which is very capable (in both 2D or full 3D mode) with no file (or functional) differences from the commercial version of SE - and which is also free to download.

Regards,

IanT

Thread: Taps and die recommendation
14/12/2022 21:49:59

Hi John,

I assume you will need BA taps, which will restrict your choice of suppliers. I've used Tap & Die Co (in the distant past) and I've no complaints about my threading tools, although I've not needed to purchase anything new recently. They seem to have a 'deal' on BA taps at the moment. You probably won't need all sizes, so you could just purchase the ones required - HSS are best if affordable.

I would also take Tubal Cains advice and drill at 70-75% (ish) engagement - you will not notice any difference in thread strength and it greatly lowers the risk of breakage. A set of drills in 0.1mm steps is very useful for drilling tapping sizes and not expensive. Also (especially for the smaller sizes) tap guidance helps a great deal. Whilst perhaps not essential in cast iron, Trefolex is your green friend in steel.

Regards,

IanT

Thread: Cad software for dummies.
14/12/2022 17:41:49
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/12/2022 11:18:06:

I use QCAD (community edition is free) for 2D-drawings when they get beyond squared paper complexity, or are going to be shared with someone else. QCAD-Pro is paid for, but adds some useful features. LibreCAD is a fork of QCAD-community edition.

• SolidEdge Community Edition - for multi-part assemblies. It's free, almost full-function, and runs locally on your computer but has licence conditions. They're not onerous for a hobbyist, but that might change! I found SE harder to learn compared with Fusion 360, partly because I was used to FreeCAD and Fusion's way of doing things.

Learning 3D-CAD is non-trivial, almost a hobby in itself. Not everyone can do the mental gymnastics needed to think in 3D and drive complicated software, but once mastered 3D-CAD is wonderful if anything complicated is afoot.

Dave

Peter,

There is a half way house with Solid Edge, in that it can be used in both 2D and/or 3D mode.

To use 2D drafting, you just open a new 'Draft' document (rather than a 'Part' document) and select the 'Sketching' tab (at the top). You will then have all of the drawing tools used in 3D design - without the problem of worrying about any of the 3D stuff. It is not hard to learn and everything learned will be useful should you ever be tempted to try SE in '3D'.

Whilst this YouTube is designed as an introduction to 3D modelling, it also will give you a very good idea of what sketching in Solid Edge 2D is like, because you use exactly the same drawing tools.

Introduction to Solid Edge - Sketching

Just a thought.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 14/12/2022 17:45:10

Thread: Elevating boring table for lathe cross slide.
08/12/2022 09:48:22

Not sure if this is useful to you (unless you know someone with a horizontal mill at your local ME society) but you can bore between centres on a Horizontal without too much effort.

Obviously you can use a boring head too but that might not have the reach required. I have a photo of this operation somewhere but can't put my hands on it at the moment. Needs a special 'centre' (or holder) made for the other end of the overarm and careful setting up. Not a proper Horizontal borer of course but usable for really large/awkward parts.

Regards,

IanT

06/12/2022 23:37:46

There was a design in ME (or MEW?) where the work was mounted on a hinged work table and the work height adjusted by changing the table's angle. Sorry cannot recall the detail at the moment. But the slide sounds the easiest route if you have a rigid one.

Just a personal preference but I've never been keen on the all swinging and singing Myford type slides. I have a heavy Chinese one which is very solid but it only mounts face-on or parallel to the axis which is all I need.

Regards,

IanT

Thread: Solid Edge - Community Edition 2022
02/12/2022 23:57:55
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/12/2022 09:40:27:

Ian may be able to put me right if this is wrong, but I believe the Community Edition isn't supported in the sense it gets regular bug fixes and feature updates like the paid for versions. Instead, the hobbyist downloads a snapshot and lives with it until a new major version is available. Then if you want it, the new version overwrites the old one. To get interim bug fixes you have to pay for a licence.

Dave

I've never used it Dave - but if you click "About Solid Edge" - there is a "Check for Updates" button at the bottom of page....

Regards,

IanT

01/12/2022 23:40:55

I think the key issue is the difference between "Supported" and "Unsupported" Bazyle - which are not the same as "Works".

Commercial software producers are careful with their use of words. "Supported" means that they will pay attention if you have a problem (assuming you are entitled to their support that is). If you are using an "Unsupported" platform - then whilst it MAY work, the very first thing they will tell you (if you do have a problem) is to use a "Supported" platform instead - and they won't do anything else until you do so.

This makes good practical sense if you think about it. A supported platform is the well-defined set of software and hardware that they've used to test their software release on - so they know that it should work correctly.

I am using Solid Edge 2022 CE on Win 11 (Home Edition) and Solid Edge 2023 CE on Win 10 (Home Edition). I have not found any problems in doing so but if I did, Siemens would simply tell me to upgrade my platform before doing anything else. So in their parlance, I am running SE/CE on unsupported platforms - and therefore do so at my own risk.

It might also be useful to know that SE/CE seems to be the basic SE 'Academic' s/w module and I'm sure Siemens will be providing commercial support to some academic customers on this product. I'd guess that it makes sense to just use the same support definitions - even though I very much doubt 'Hobbyists' would get any help unless it was something very serious that was being reported.

Regards,

IanT

29/11/2022 09:27:10

The CE version of Solid Edge is usually pretty much the same as the commercial one, the main difference having been that you cannot open SE/CE files with a SE commercial licence and vice versa. So I guess Siemens find it simpler to just have a few iterations (3?) to maintain commercially and have decided that SE/CE will track this too.

A lot of the '23 changes seem to involve Cloud and integration with other manufacturing (CAM) products but they have made changes to the UI and workflow ( "Click Less, Do More" ) as well as improving the import of other CAD based designs. "Directly insert SOLIDWORKS, JT, STEP, and Parasolid files (part or assembly) into Solid Edge assemblies without translation" may be useful to others here (assuming it's also in SE/CE)

Very high level summary of commercial product here...

Solid Edge 2023 - Introduction

My use of Solid Edge isn't pushing any CAD performance or functional boundaries. SE/CE more than meets my current requirements but it's good to know that it's being actively developed and that my (free) licence has been extended for another 3 years in effect....

Regards,

IanT

28/11/2022 22:33:48

Just a quick update to this post.

I've just downloaded Solid Edge 2023 Community Edition onto my old(er) Win 10 Laptop. The screen was on the blink, so I had to get a new (Win 11) Laptop to replace it - but I've managed to get the old Win 10 PC running on a monitor, so it's still useful.

I had SE 2022 CE installed on the Win10 PC with 764 days left on it's '22' licence. I had to delete the SE 2022 version to install the SE 2023 one but it came up OK afterwards. I now have 1,129 days on the new '23' licence, so it does seem to be a rolling licence as you upgrade to newer SE versions. I've been using SE/CE for about two years now, so at this point I'm looking at five years use at no cost. Hopefully this 'roll-over' will continue again each year going forward.

I have other things to do this evening, so have not looked at SE2023 too closely - just opened a couple of my assemblies as a quick check. All worked OK. The UI seems to have changed slightly in appearance but the tools I normally use all seem to be the same. I elected to go straight to the new "Balanced" UI but there was a window that popped up during installation that suggested I could retain the old "Balanced" UI - without the "new" commands available in SE 2023. With hindsight, I might have selected this option and then moved to the "new" UI once I was settled in. I don't seem to be able to do this in retrospect but hopefully it won't be a problem.

Beginners Note - There is a 'First Steps' and 'Next Steps' UI avaialble whilst you learn the basic tools, these offer a simplified UI that you might find easier at first.

So in summary, I now have another 3 years Solid Edge licence on my Win 10 'Home' PC and it seems to be working just as before. I've not updated my Win 11 'Home' laptop as yet but I will do so once I've used the Win10 install a bit more.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 28/11/2022 22:36:36

Thread: Silver soldering Torch size
22/10/2022 09:40:49

PS That baseplate is about 50mm square and 3-4mm thick...and yes, I did re-do that bit I missed on the side!

IanT

22/10/2022 09:37:21

I think getting the local blacksmith to TIG (or MIG) these steel parts sounds like a good option and he probably wouldn't charge you the earth for it. You may be able to return the favour one day - I've made odd sized bolts for a welder friend of mine.

For small steel fabrications I use SIFbronze and a Bullfinch 404. I do use silver solder but I'm trying to hoard my supplies of that for obvious cost reasons (SIFbronze is very much cheaper). The Bullfinch can handle 'bronze' brazing (e.g. brass brazing) as well as silver brazing of course. I don't use it for boiler work but it's ideal for small fabrications. It's a very well made tool that will last, so one of those things that really is a good investment.

Regards,

IanT

Side Frame Assembly

Drag Bar 4

Thread: Cross Slide Rotary Encoder
17/10/2022 09:27:59

When I first saw this post, I assumed it was with regard to a rotary encoder with a spooled 'wire' (attached to the moving part) - not a direct readout of the handwheel movement.

There is/was a company that used to sell such devices at shows pre-covid. They measure the actual slide movement of course, so account for any backlash too. I doubt they would be quite as accuate as a commercial scale but would probably be much less expensive as a DiY project and possibly much easier to fit in some cases.

Regards,

IanT

Thread: stent
14/10/2022 09:05:17

I have this MEW article John - PM if you would like a copy

Regards,

IanT

Thread: Stringer EW Mini Lathe
04/10/2022 09:28:08

The back gear is in the box with the boring table.

Regards,

IanT

03/10/2022 22:43:44

Throw the motors away - or sell them separately Kevin

The lathe looks OK and you have the boring table and back-gear - both potentially useful.

You don't need the countershaft, it's not hard to make one.

Essentially, if you are not going to use it, then best to sell it to someone who will. They are sturdy small machines, better than the Unimat in my view. I'm sure someone will find it very useful.

Regards,

IanT

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate