By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret Trelawny

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret Trelawny has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Damaged Screws & QCTP help!!!
31/07/2023 11:15:57

Hello chaps,

sorry for my late responses but I am at work.

I am awaiting responses from arceuro and Amadeal.

Jason - putting the tool in and offering up to a workpiece looks fine - although I did have to adjust the tool holder up a little (not sure if this is normal practice as i have nothing to compare against) - but a standard tool of the size I generally use does reach the work piece ok. See pic. I will try the stud later when home tonight but it looks likely that the stud will work or worst case, I need a new stud. The threads on the original stud look a bit worn don’t they?

i’ll send dimensions of the stud later when home and reply to all the pm’s.

thanks all

M

img_5479.jpeg
img_5466.jpeg

Edited By JasonB on 31/07/2023 11:26:56

30/07/2023 21:00:06

Jason:

img_5476.jpegimg_5478.jpeg

30/07/2023 20:37:47

Not done it yet - I will be returning the ‘easy outs’ 👍😉

30/07/2023 20:15:10

Jason

do these photos help at all?

img_5473.jpeg

img_5471.jpeg

Edited By JasonB on 30/07/2023 20:46:37

30/07/2023 20:12:51

Howard

replied to your dm’s. Thank you.

Jason, I’ll check the measurements you suggested tomorrow.

Thanks

Thread: Quick change tool post and ball cutting
30/07/2023 20:09:16

Hi Jason, sorry, posted in wrong thread! The forum jumps around on my phone when trying to load pics! I will reply on there tonkeep things consistent.

30/07/2023 19:37:48

Hi Howard, sorry been out most of the day, just replied to your dm’s.

all the best

Margaret

30/07/2023 19:20:26

img_5473.jpegHi again all,

ok so have tried to put together my top slide (bearing in mind parts are out of action because of the broken screws) but the old tool post and the new tool post - to the bottom of the tool holder part - look about the same. Apologies for the scale drooping on the second photo - I didn’t notice when I took the photo - it seems to be about the same distance from the lathe bed.

img_5471.jpeg

Thread: Damaged Screws & QCTP help!!!
30/07/2023 11:55:35

Sorry about the higgledy piggledy post above - adding photos on a phone is tricky!

30/07/2023 11:54:31

Thanks gentlemen. I have just purchased img_5469.jpegthe relevant machine screws with socket fitting from GWR as per your recommendations.

Jason - I am not sure the original stud is long enough? I tried to photograph it against the QCTP but the phone camera distorts it somehwat. The stud collar is aligned with the base of the QCTP in the pics and to me, looks about 15mm too short?

img_5468.jpeg

30/07/2023 00:12:45

Thanks Neil and Bill for your input.

I am pleased to say we got the damaged screws out! As suggested, starting with a 2mm drill, worked all the way up in .5mm increments carefully until we were able to gently wind a 5mm tap into the holes which split the remainder of the cores and they wound out. Yey!

Now, should I replace them with cross heads or torx? Stainless?

Appreciate you all and your generosity in helping.

… now to sort out that pesky stud…. Not sure the arc one is correct as you say Neil. Will speak to both arc and Amadeal Monday and see if anyone can help.

29/07/2023 22:14:35

Hello Duncan - thanks for the link to Coventry Model Engineers. I will bear them in mind. I bought the 250-000 from arceurotrade - and although the post has been taken out of the bag, it hasn’t been used. Some oil has leaked off the parts onto the cardbord packaging - but I noticed the boxes for the holders already had oil stains on anyway.

It seems though I have made another mistake in buying too small QCTP. Because the swing over is 12cm, I should have purchased a 250-111. So I am hoping to exchange it.

Malcolm - thanks will try your suggestions first.

29/07/2023 21:20:49

Thanks Mickb yes

29/07/2023 21:15:52

Hi Howard,

It has certainly given me a few grey hairs! disgust

29/07/2023 21:07:12

Hi Nick,

You are right, I don't have the equipment nor the experience to attempt this kind of repair unfortunately. I will likely use the option Robert suggested above with the helicoil system.

I don't know of any ME clubs around me, although I am sure there are some.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

All the best

Margaret

29/07/2023 21:05:21

ps: Robert, the M6 repair might be the better option because fortuitously, I found several matching bolts in a drawer which had come as spares with an Ikea kitchen. The are exactly the same and M6!

29/07/2023 20:56:02

Hi Robert

Thank you for your suggestion - that is excellent. I didn't realise you could do that. If I can't get the screws out that is my next option.

I appreciate it.

Many thanks

Margaret

29/07/2023 20:51:26

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew, and the disappointing part is that it all looked such a simple swap on the YouTube and ArcEuro videos I watched. Had I known what I was letting myself in for, I wouldn't have attempted it. I am near Coventry.

Unfortunately, the shaft cap and larger diameter part of the original stud is larger than the newer threaded stud.

Stud cap: 15.18mm

Knurled part of stud shaft: 10.37

Fatter part of stud shaft: 10mm

New stud thread: 7.5mm

All the best

Margaret

29/07/2023 20:03:39

Hi all,

No need for anyone to feel bad. It is part of my learning curve - proving to be costly and a headache but I guess that's how we learn.

Update: Everything is now apart - thanks Jason for your suggestion and input. I heated the ring a little and tapped it and again, it came apart.

I just need to find a way now to get those damaged screws out - otherwise that part is scrap.

For the toolpost stud, I just don't know what to do. I am not sufficiently experienced to make my own (as I am sure a lot of you guys are able to) nor do I have the tapping equipment etc. I have emailed both Amadeal and Arceuro to see if they can help. It seems the CJ0623b is slightly larger than a mini-lathe. I have nothing to compare so I don't know.

It's such a headache.

Thanks again for all your input and help, it is very much appreciated.

Margaret

29/07/2023 18:04:14

Hi Noel, thanks for the reply. I took your advice and added a little heat and gave it a small tap and it popped out. Yey!

But now I find the two posts are different! The one in the kit is threaded both ends - have I purchased the wrong kit from arceuro? The one on my lathe is a push in fit, the kit one threaded. (My lathe is an Amadeal CJ0623b if that helps?). The videos I watched on ebay it was a straight swap! crook

Also, I have identified the little pin which seems to be stopping the circular part from moving. How can I remove this please?

I am at my wits end! I wish I hadn't bothered and stuck with the 4-way tool post.

Thanks all

Margaret

img_5463.jpeg

img_5464.jpeg

img_5465.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate