By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fred Jolly 1

Here is a list of all the postings Fred Jolly 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Holding pipe when anodising??
19/05/2023 16:27:16

Bit late for this one but when anidising or plating something like that I use bulldog or market stall clips . Fit the handles inside the pipe and let them expand to grip the pipe . Fasten the power supply to the clip and away you go. Simple and effective.

Thread: How does this flame failure device work?
27/04/2023 23:01:57
Posted by Clive Steer on 08/04/2023 10:58:07:

I forgot to mention that it is now illegal for anyone to service a gas appliance that are not trained and certificated to do so. However like many thing " for the guidance of wise men (women) and the obedience of fools".

CS

Incorrect. The gas safety regulations state that one must be competant to work on gas fittings (this includes appliances) competency would be decided by a court of law in extreme circumstances.

One only needs to be a certified and registered if doing such work in the course of trade or buisiness

27/04/2023 22:53:43
Posted by John Doe 2 on 08/04/2023 09:21:33:

I have just repaired the central heating system I recently "inherited", (and which had 6 separate faults),

During my investigations and fault finding; I learned that a flame is conductive and can be used to detect the presence or absence of a flame.

In the case of my old Potterton Netaheat 80E, nobody would give out any information, so I traced through the PCB and found that the flame sense circuit uses the ignitor probe itself to detect the flame and hold a relay over, which enables the gas valve. The ignitor is literally just a metal probe, not a thermocouple in this model.

I tried to find the fault on the board, but could not obtain a circuit diagram and ran out of time during the coldest part of the year so far, (isn't it always when the heating fails?), and bought a new PCB. Cost me £82.

I have no doubt that had I been clueless and had to call a plumber, they would have sold me a new boiler and a new pump etc.....plus labour costing probably the best part of £2,000.

Edited By John Doe 2 on 08/04/2023 09:23:18

I cut my eye teeth on Netaheats and the Abergas HTM boilers as a gas service technician in the Early 1980's. 90% of circuit board faults were the main relay failing. The Abergas was the first Domestic unit to use the flame rectification system in the mid to late 1970's . Common though when instant shut off was required for large industrial burners and mid range package systems they could singe ones eyebrows drastically if they took more than a millisecond to detect a flame outage. Now, flame rectification detection is probably the most common flame failure device used in room sealed chambers

Edited By Fred Jolly 1 on 27/04/2023 22:54:55

Thread: Myford 254 anti vibration feet
27/04/2023 15:11:55
Posted by not done it yet on 27/04/2023 14:43:31:
Posted by John Haine on 27/04/2023 14:33:00:

Seems to me that there is a paradox here. Anti-vibration implies compliance, i.e. springiness. Unlikely to be in the horizontal plane as that is very difficult to arrange. If in the vertical plane they will not be very good for levelling! Do we just mean adjustable feet!

Yes, but even better - if we add in the adjective ‘expensive’ in that sentence.🙂

Mine were (I presume) extremely expensive mounts but they were thrown away from the packaging of a very expensive American made hospital scanner , by the delivery people that unpacked it. Only problem was They threw away the fixing nuts in an unretrievable place. I got 10 mounts and had to buy a box of 9/16" UNF nuts to fit them. Used 4 on the lathe Main advantage to me was the height increase it gave.

cheaper than buying ADJUSTABLE feet or fabricating a plinth. wink

Edited By Fred Jolly 1 on 27/04/2023 15:13:20

26/04/2023 23:50:28

I picked up a nice ex schools metric Viceroy to replace my aging and close to knackered Harisson L5 .

Having some health problems with my spine, I fitted anti vibration feet to raise the lathe about 50mm to make it more comfortable to work. The lathe is mounted on an 8" thick concrete floor in my workshop and certainly seems to run quieter than before I fitted the feet and I think they are beneficial to me

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate