By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for malcolm hollins

Here is a list of all the postings malcolm hollins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Treads on 1/8" rod
26/08/2022 19:35:21

Hi Every body

In stead of tapping the ends of the conrods I drilled them out to 9/64" and drilled and tapped 2 x 3mm grub screw holes. using the original conrods to get the approximate size between the their centers I cut down the 1/8" rod so that the wheels would rotate O.K

Now all 4 wheels rotate without binding

I think I now have Conrods on both wheels that I can made solid conrods that will work.

24/08/2022 18:06:00

With the information I have I now I know the tpi of 3mm coarse, 3mm fine, 3mm special pitches,UNC #5, UNF #5, BA #5 and BSW 1/8".

I now can get on making the conrods.

24/08/2022 17:47:36

Thanks for your swift reply.

It looks like from the information you provided I need to look at The Basic Major Diameter for the Rod Size in my Engineers Black Book

24/08/2022 17:19:52

I am making a pair of adjustable conrods so that I can get a pair of wheels to turn freely/

I want to have different threads per inch on either end of the 1/8" rod..

This is so that the conrod length can be adjusted and the end that go onto the conrod pins on the wheels are square on the pins.

I have taps and dies for B.A. , BSF , BSW, Metric, UNC and UNF.

My Engineers Black Book lists all the tap and die sizes but I do not seem to find what size of rod is used for the dies.

Which pair of dies should I use?

Thread: What VFD should I get
05/03/2022 11:12:41

dsc04895.jpgChesters and Warco doesn't have any Motor Pulleys Couldn't find any on internet decided to make my own.

Was going to make a single step pulley out of aluminium but Macc Models was closed.

Made a pulley out of Hard Wood .

Mill now works.

Plan to fit a 3 Phase Motor , correct size pulley and a VFD in thefuture.dsc04893.jpg

Thread: Chipbreaker lathe Parting Blade
04/03/2022 17:42:59

Clive

I have a1958 Buck and Hickman General Catalogue of Tools & Supplies they were selling J & S 42 - S for £1 14s 6d.

I have ordered the correct size Parting Blade for mine.

It is that I saw a You tube from U.S.A. that recommended using a Tee section Parting Blade and I was wondering if anybody had tried one in a J&S 42-S

Malcolm

04/03/2022 08:36:23

My J-S 42-S Parting Tool uses 3/32" x 5/8" Parting blades.

Can I get any "Tee" section Parting Blades that will fit my J-S 42-S?

Chronos sells Chipbreaker Lathe Parting Blades 1/8" x 3/4" x 6" and 1/8" x 1/2" x 4./2" which are the wrong size.(these are examples of a Tee section Blade)

Thread: What VFD should I get
25/02/2022 08:23:39

Howard (from a previous Post) yesterday emailed me Photos of a Chester manual which I printed out. Very useful manual.

The Mill is a Chester rf-20 or a rf-25 (I need to check the specifications against the Mill to find out which one is mine)

I now have the Belts sizes .A31 (A790MC 13 x 800) & A38 (A990MC 13 x 965)

I do not have the correct Motor pulley (4 steps ) My motor pulley has 2 steps)

Will check with Chesters see if they still have one.

The original Mill had 12 speeds (a lot more than the 4 the Gearbox had

George at Newton Tesla said I would still need the correct pulleys and belts when I used a VFD

24/02/2022 11:23:24

I have just talked to George at Newton Tesla . He explained that a VFD was the same as an Inverter and a 3 Phase motor was to best option (single Phase motor would have problems)

I will get my Mill going using the Belt/Pulleys (remove gearbox and refit the pulley assemble that is between the motor and Spindle)

Sell the Gearbox (use the money to get VFD option)

Then buy a VFD/Inverter out of the box package (easiest option)

I still don't what the correct belt sizes are - I will put the 2 pulleys in the middle of there adjustment and measure the distance between the motor , pulley assembly and Spindle. Knowing the motor speed and the pulleys diameter I will use an internet Pulley Calculator to get the Belt Lengths.

24/02/2022 08:07:21

What I had in mind was to remove the Gearbox and revert the Mill back to using Belt and Pulleys (I still have the original 4 pulley assembly to do this) Still would like to know the Belt sizes required.

The Single phase motor is only 2 years old so I was wondering if I could still use it. (Motor hp and rpm)

If that is not an option I would buy a 3 phase motor. (What hp, number of poles {speed}would be required)

I didn't know that some Mills have a motor reverse mine has not .

I would need a Single phase to 3 phase VFD if I want to stop changing the stepped pulleys to change the Spindle rpm.

I would like to point out that I was in the RAF for 13.5 years, Then as a Main Frame Computers engineer until I retired at 57.5 years old, .I am 77 now.

I have not kept up with the latest developments in electronics since I retired eg . VFD's etc but I have a fair idea.

23/02/2022 17:15:31

Having read up on VFD on the internet I know that I would need to remove the capacitators from the single phase motor in order for the 3 phase output from the VFD to run the motor. I was thinking if the motor was then not able to run the mill O.K. I could replace it with a 3 phase motor.

Some of the VFD I have seen on the internet reckon they will give the spindle speed.

23/02/2022 16:19:37

Several ME members have suggested I get a VFD for my Mill.

I would like a single phase input with single phase and 3 phase output (I could use 3 Phase if I needed to replace my Single Phase motor)

The motor on my mill is a Amtecs AMAS SR80G4 1 hp 1410 rpm.

I would like the VFD to display the Mill spindle speed , have a Filter and be able to controller my Single phase motor.

What VFD should I get?

Thread: Chester 20 Eagle
22/02/2022 17:52:09

Looks like I need a better pair of glasses.

I read vfd as vid . Know I know what a vfd is

22/02/2022 15:37:28

Hi John and Burnard

I am quite interested in getting rid of the gear box

Could you give me more information on what would be involved

What is a VID?

I presume that I would need a single phase to 3 phase convertor , a 3 phase motor and some sort of 3 phase speed controller..

A Block diagram and circuit diagram would explain a lot.

i am 77 retired at 57 and was a Main Frame Computer engineer but have not kept up with advances in technology so I am a bit rusty.

22/02/2022 11:09:58

Tried to rotate this photo of drawing .

Able to rotate in Windows 11 but when added to my ME album it didn't state rotateddsc04871.jpg

22/02/2022 10:45:48

dsc04869.jpgdsc04868.jpgdsc04866.jpgdsc04865.jpgdsc04864.jpgdsc04863.jpgMore photosdsc04862.jpg

22/02/2022 10:43:40

At present the mill is fitted with a Velocette pre war MAC Gearbox which I still have problems with.

If I cannot resolve the problems I still have the original Pulley assembly so I could get the mill going again.

The original motor has been replaced with Amtecs AMAS SR80G3 1 hp 1410 rpm (I do not know any details of the original motor)

Spoke to 2 ME members at last Fridays meeting and they said the lowest speed was too high to use a Fly cutter. They suggested using the largest pulleys on the motor and Gearbox to reduce the speed.

This would cause the 2 belts to foul the Column (i could make 2 Belt tensioners to push the belts away from the Column)

The Spindle and Gearbox pulleys have not been changed by me but I am not sure if I have to change the motor pulley when the new motor was fitted (Old and new motors may have had different spindle diameters)

The detail information is :-

Motor 1 hp 1410 rpm.

Pulley diameters on Motor 100 mm & 125 mm.

Pulley diameters on Gearbox 60 mm & 155 mm.

Pulley diameters on Spindle 130 mm , 150 mm , 170 mm & 195 mm.

Spindle speeds using Gearbox 820 rpm , 1200 rpm , 1550 rpm & 2050 rpm.

The distance range between the Motor and Gearbox is approx. 23 mm to 34 mm.

The distance range between the Gearbox and Spindle is approx. 21 mm to 31 mm.

Obviously the maximums would cause the pulleys to foul the edges of the bottom section of the belt , pulley Gearbox cover.

I do not know what the 2 belt sizes were when this arrangement was first put in use.

What I need to know is :-

Will the new motor be O/K. to give the correct Chester 20 Eagle speeds.

Speeds of Chester 20 Eagle.

Original Motor pulley diameter.

Both belt sizes when the Gearbox is swopped out for the original pulley assembly.

Speeds and Belt sizes should be in the manual which I don't have.dsc04869.jpg

Thread: What is this Chester Mill Model
20/02/2022 17:51:12

Howard

I am a new member of ME

What do I do to PM you?

20/02/2022 17:44:28

It is a Metric mill

20/02/2022 17:42:54

table is160mm x 500mm

x travel 250m

y travel 120mm

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate