By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for iain hale 1

Here is a list of all the postings iain hale 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: SMEE Basic Training Course restarting
27/02/2022 12:02:34

Dear Norman

Many thanks for your reply, I understand better how regional workshops are a none starter. I will see if I can seek resources closer to home

Kind Regards

Iain

Thread: Advise and Recommendations
26/02/2022 13:42:58

Please can anyone recommend plans for a starter project to build a traction engine. It probably wont be steam powered most likely electric with a sound card.

Regards

Iain

Thread: SMEE Basic Training Course restarting
26/02/2022 13:32:28

How about running these type of courses in regional centres, there is life out side the home counties!!!!

Iain Hale

Thread: Arduino/Stepper Motor Dividing Head
09/02/2022 09:02:27

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I have the IDE loaded and have registered but the help stuff is just meaningless I just want to be able to install Garry Lining's indexing software.

Cheers Iain

09/02/2022 04:39:29

Hello Everyone

I have just purchased an Arduino Nano plus the other bits to build the ME stepper motor controller, Please can some help me as to how to load Garry Linings software on to the UNO. I have been round the loop so to speak several times expecting to be able to drag and drop the file and run an exe file to run.

This supposed to be fun but it's becoming no fun

Iain

Thread: Tool Post for Warco WM 180
08/01/2022 15:42:09

Oh wow what a fabulous response, very many thanks to all of you who have been generous with your time to share your knowledge and experiences in answer to my initial enquiry.

Has anyone modified the cross slide on a WM180 or similar to mount a tool post on the backside for parting off?

Thread: Collet Choice
06/01/2022 15:37:37

Hello there

I have a new AMAVM25L MT3 Mill. I am looking for hep and advice on collet choice.

Currently my thoughts are to go with ER 32 size. with a collect chuck or would the morse taper 3 collets be a better option to (a) save some money not having to buy a chuck.

Or (b) but loose flexibility in changing different size collets

Any advice welcome please

Regards

Iain

Thread: Tool Post for Warco WM 180
05/01/2022 20:57:27

The time has come to talk about changing the tool post on my DM180 lathe.

Advice please I have now discovered the limitations of the tool post on this latheand would like to upgrade to a quick change holder.

Warco can supply a direct replacement (out of stock at the moment) is there any thing out there that I might also consider too.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Iain

Thread: Warco Lathe setup
04/01/2022 19:44:48

Hi Chris

Thanks for the question and to be honest I never thought of asking Warco, but I will now. Being a newbie all the suggestions and advice is most welcome so thanks again to all who have offered advice.

I have now found the saddle lock bolt and will be carrying out a mod to turn up a new threaded bolt to attach a handle so the cross slide issue is no more.

Having broken the tip off the parting tool, resharpened it swopped out all the shims used to pack it up with and milled up a piece of steel to fit, moved the blade as far back into the holder as possible. This time it all worked very well just as I expected in the first place.

No substitute for experience and making a few mistakes, but heh that was only one cut better see if I can do it again consistently.

03/01/2022 20:35:10

I will post up a video clip of the setup tomorrow,

03/01/2022 20:31:59

Gentlemen Thank you all for your quick responses to my query..

Howard :The lift on the saddle is enough to be able to see the saddle move slightly.

David: Yes minimised the overhang, but not locked the carriage on the basis I didn't know you could!!!

Keith: I thought about turning the tool upside down but how do you centre it, am I missing something here?

03/01/2022 18:25:47

Please can anyone help me resolve the issue of play in my Warco DM180 lathe saddle.

When trying to part off using a small parting off tool and taking the feed rate very slowly the cutting tool is forced down and below the centreline of the work.

It appears there is a small amount of play in the saddle, I am at a loss as to how to rectify. The lathe is brand new only had a few hours of running.

Happy New Year to you all

Iain

Thread: New Boy on the lock here
04/11/2021 08:33:21

Gentlemen thank you all very much indeed for your advice and encouragement. I am indeed taking my time with all this. I have joined (just) PEEMS Pickering Experimental Engineering Model Society.

I already have half my garage divided off with wall ,floor and ceiling insulated with Kingspan so my first job is to complete the rest of the area to match. This will give me two seperated rooms a clean ares for lathe and milling etc and the other for more dirt/dust activity.

My budget is very modest so every pound spent needs to count. Fortunatley I do have access to the Scarborough Mates workshop facilities too but like you all it's nice to take a cup of tea out to ones workshop to practice when the fancy takes.

Regards

Iain

03/11/2021 17:34:39

Greetings From Scarbados (Scarborough) JUst starting to kit out my workshop. Would welcome some guidance on Lathe And Milling Machine purchase.

Also what to purchase in tooling to get started Thanks in advance

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate