By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Beresford

Here is a list of all the postings John Beresford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML10/Speed 10 cone pulley lubrication
05/03/2021 15:14:50

Yes on these roller bearing models the bearings require grease and the cone pulley needs oil, not grease. I can see on that link he has an oil gun with a narrow enough nozzle to get in whereas mine is much too wide. Im going to be going through this process around Easter time to replace the bull wheel and drive belt.

05/03/2021 13:15:24

Ive had this Speed 10 for a few weeks now and getting familiar with it and building up my tools and bits n bobs. Apart from the leadscrew (metric 2mm pitch) which has a bit of wear there is remarkably little wear on the rest of it. Ive just bought a nice oil gun from Press Tools as recommended on this forum. This is really nice quality but the nozzle is too wide to get to the ball nipple on the cone pulley. Interestingly theres a chip out of the tooth on the bull wheel directly opposite the nipple so Im guessing the previous owner had the same issue. I will be using the back gear so its important I can get oil in there. Any Model 10 owners out there with a solution to this? I was wondering about replacing the small nipple with a larger one like the ones on the spindle bearings but until I try I don't know if it will render it more accessible or if it will then catch on the back gear. Ive also tried a syringe with a bit of rubber tubing on but I couldn't detect any oil getting past the ball in the nipple

Thread: Myford speed 10 leadscrew
18/01/2021 10:31:20

Thanks for replies and useful suggestions chaps. Ive been assured by the company Im buying from that the the leadscrew is a bit of surface rust and still completely usable so Im going to risk it.

17/01/2021 16:36:09

Here is a photo of the leadscrew. Im not sure if this is classed as bad or acceptable.c4e1694e-a48b-42b2-bf92-0b1f93467da6.jpeg

17/01/2021 15:28:43

Hi everyone, this is my first posting to this forum. I’m looking to upgrade from my Clarke CL300M mini lathe to something bigger but not too big. Ive been looking at a nice long bed Speed 10 but the owner says the leadscrew has become somewhat corroded and it could do with replacing. Ive had a look on eBay and Myfords site but there’s nothing currently available. So the questions are if I clean up the lead screw as best I can how will some surface corrosion affect performance? Secondly has anyone any idea where I might find a replacement?

No chance of any close up photos I’m afraid.

I wont be doing any screw cutting at all so just using it for turning down long pieces.

thanks

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate