By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris N

Here is a list of all the postings Chris N has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moving a WM18B
29/08/2022 08:06:13

I moved mine by breaking it down into table, saddle, head and base/column. The base and column are very heavy indeed and it wasn't possible for me to move them on my own. The other parts were just about manageable, but easier with two people. The head comes off very easily - two or three bolts depending on model and the angular adjustment lock are all you need to remove, I think. I clamped the spindle nose in some V blocks in the vice to stabilise it. I had to remove the DRO scales to get the table off, but that was fairly straightforward too.

Thread: Workshop Drawing Book
29/08/2022 08:01:20

Manual of Engineering Drawing is my go-to. 5th Edition is the most recent but an earlier version would be just fine as a reference for non-commercial applications.

Thread: Special M5 CSK screws
24/02/2022 19:23:21

Not Torx but close: https://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk/en/catalog/mechanical-components/shoulder-screws-captive-screws-sealing-screws/shoulder-screws/stainless-shoulder-screws/p0128.a2/g+m+c+s+a

Edited By Chris N on 24/02/2022 19:24:48

Thread: WM18 strip down
20/02/2022 21:10:28

I was able to break the mill down into smaller chunks. DRO, Z scale and way covers first, then the head came off fairly easily after removing the bolts and locking pin. Table, saddle and their leadscrews off next. Took two of us to lift the head - it's very dense - and to lift the base and column.

Mine does have the gas strut inside the column - it's fixed to the Z axis slide via a connecting block (I think) and then to the base of the machine - so I decided not to remove it or the column. There are also two threaded and, I assume, tapered pins through the foot of the column into the base between the fixing screws.pxl_20220220_155423945.jpg

19/02/2022 07:42:42

Posted by RMA on 16/02/2022 19:35:22:

I had a word with the tech chap at Warco today, and he thinks it can be broken down to head; column and base (still attached); table, and stand.

I need to disassemble a WM18 to move it too, and was hoping that I could break it into smaller pieces to do so. I found the Precision Matthews PM-30MV manual on their website - it looks like the same machine: PM-30MV-v3-2020-10.pdf Looks like the head, table and saddle should come apart easily enough, but it's not clear from the manual how the gas strut attaches - whether it's fixed to the base or the column. This video shows a bit more clearly how it's located: **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate