By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Me.

Here is a list of all the postings Me. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: End Mill holder - Help
11/12/2020 20:45:02

I need help with an end mill holder. I have about 100 odd end mills that came with my Milling machine.

They are all different types - some with a straight shank some with a notch in the side and a majority of them have a thread on the end. All of various shank diameter.

My confusion lies in what type of end mill holder do I need to hold the end mills with the threaded end. I have a NT30 taper in the spindle - so which end mill holder do I need to get for the threaded end mills.

Thread: New jaws for my milling vice.
02/12/2020 08:39:31

Thanks for all the answers - I have already taken it apart and cleaned 50 years of "growth" from the internals. It is very well made and it shows only slight wear - it is a Domer Mill vice - I have only found one reference to it on the internet and that was not exactly the same.

The jaws that are in it look like they are reversible - they have a "waffle" effect on one side, the flat side does show marks and the odd drill bit miss aliment accident.

As ive given it a new lease of life I thought i'd treat it to a new set of jaws.

01/12/2020 14:29:28

Once again thanks for all the prompt and informative suggestions.

Mild steel will be my choice -

The true them up reference would be to make the faces of each jaw parallel with each other - i was asking i- f once ive made a set of jaws and fitted them would it be common practice to then mill each jaw whilst in the vice so the faces then sit parallel to each other ?

01/12/2020 11:39:02

I have "inherited" a very large milling vice with the machine I just brought.

The jaws have seen better days and could do with a new set - what would be the best material to make them from and any recommendations as to how to true them up to the old vice.

Thread: Taper sleeve adapter
17/11/2020 15:31:13

I have just realised I was looking at the solution to my problem all along - I already have one taper tool that fits in my spindle. I can make that into the adapter sleeve - it looks like it was a tool to take a Jacobs Chuck so I can machine away all the business end and all I will need to do is turn the internal taper on the old tool..... simples.... I hope.

15/11/2020 12:43:54

Thanks - exactly the info I needed - home workshop grade it will be.

15/11/2020 09:34:46

Thanks for all the info - I must have read a 1000 odd pages of info on the Herbert Taper - but unfortunately i still need an adapter to make my spindle usable.

Unless someone knows of a supplier of original Herbert 1 3/8 tooling.....

I would still like advice on the best material to make the adapter from ?

Edited By Me. on 15/11/2020 09:35:54

14/11/2020 08:46:24

Hi - yes I am aware of the 35 but that is still too big for my needs - For information - the early built Herbert machines used a specific to Herbert, it is the same taper angle as the NT/BT range but was in between. 1 3/8 (34.4mm)

This is why I need an adapter sleeve - just trying to work out the best route - If the 40-30 adapter sleeve is half way done then it shouldn't be to difficult to modify the outside of it to fit my spindle.

I just need a method and material choice for come up with the best result.

13/11/2020 22:40:18

Th 40 is too big and the 30 too small - I have had already had loads of advice as to what would be the best route - The original idea is to make a taper sleeve adapter from scratch but if the BT40 to 30 would already have half the work done then turning the outer taper to suit my spindle would be the easiest route for me.

13/11/2020 22:21:05

I'd not be using HSS to cut the adapter - the fact that the taper angle on the 40 is the same as the taper I need shouldn't be that hard to set it up to cut - I could even set up a tool post grinder to help.

Edited By Me. on 13/11/2020 22:22:01

13/11/2020 21:27:33

Ive just had a thought - I note there's a BT40 to BT30 Adaptor. Arc Euro Trade part number 120-010-44030

If I use one of these it already has the internal taper already cut - then all I need to do is recut the outer taper to suit my Herbert taper... Job done.

Your thoughts please.

Thread: Where to buy cast iron blank
07/11/2020 08:20:11

I can't believe how quick I get a response to my questions - Cast Iron blank located and i'm in the process of buying.

Thanks

06/11/2020 21:47:00

Its for a Harrison 140 with a L-00 taper - i don't think welding two plates would suit

06/11/2020 21:30:07

Hi Can anyone suggest somewhere to buy a 9" x 3" blank to make a back plate for a large 4 jaw chuck.

Thread: Taper sleeve adapter
06/11/2020 10:41:12

Wow - Thanks all for your input - I will read through and work out the best route - as Pete has already done this operation I will pick his brains a bit more.

What material do I need to use - does it need to be relatively hard or would a mild still be the preferred choice.

05/11/2020 15:50:19

I'm in need to make an adapter sleeve for an odd size taper for my milling machine.

The sleeve has the same taper as the BT30.

I need to know the best way to cut and internal and external taper on the same piece of material - the wall thickness will end up approx 3mm thick.

Can anyone suggest the best way to tackle this - would you cut the internal taper first or the external and also, what would be the best material to make it from.

Thread: Taper identification
30/10/2020 14:41:01

Hi Pete

The picture is at the start of the thread - that is the only thing that fits in my spindle.

Posted by Pete White on 30/10/2020 14:33:03:

It is as Brian says I am sure. If you make a sleeve you only need one, then all int 30 stuff will fit, new stuff is not expensive from our sponsors. Can you send a pic of that one tool that you have with the ns taper, I would not carve that up. If you make a sleeve and mess up you can easily have another go, it can be a little tricky to get the diameters right, a little bit changes to lengh quite a lot, if you see what I mean,

30/10/2020 14:36:19

Thanks  - mine doesn't have the tangs as per the drawing - but I would have thought it was if its from a Herbert machine.

Posted by Emgee on 30/10/2020 14:11:06:

Perhaps this is as yours ?

unknown taper on herbert.jpg

Edited By Me. on 30/10/2020 14:37:33

30/10/2020 13:34:08

Found a dimensional drawing of the BT35 and that looks too big - it looks like its 38mm at the largest section on the taper I only have 34mm ish where then BT30 is 31mm ish....

I had my hopes up then....

30/10/2020 13:29:30

surprisesurprisesurprise BT35..... ahhhh - where how what..... Anyone got the dimensions of a BT35 taper... do you think it would be that simple.

I'm taking the machine apart for a good clean and service and its a very easy machine to work on - aorta's from the weight - so removing the spindle should be pretty straight forward.... I hope.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate