By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hattie Goodale

Here is a list of all the postings Hattie Goodale has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me to Identify This Very Old Boiler Please?
16/08/2019 12:00:33

Hello all

Thank you very much indeed for your input. Some very interesting food for thought here. I'm not really super keen to sell this item. My partner was a hoarder of antiques and curio; he passed away recently and I've inherited a huge amount of stuff. I love the stuff - it's all interesting and unique like he was, and if I had the choice I'd keep it all. But I will soon have to move out of the house we shared, so some things just have to go.

I am in the UK, here is the link to my eBay listing: **LINK**

Jason, am I right in understanding you believe the outer wall to be hollow, and that that's where the water goes? This is very interesting, had not even occurred to me as a possibility, and will require an edit to my eBay listing which states that it's solid cast iron. I have been scratching my head wondering where the water goes, I thought it must have had an inner tank which has been lost.

I wonder whether I even have the boiler listed in the right category? I originally listed it under Antiques > Other Antiques (seemed like a handy catch-all/cop-out), but I later moved it to Toys and Games > Steam

Really appreciate everyone's input. It's so kind of you to put your thinking caps on and offer your thoughts and observations when you don't know me from Adam and I have nothing to offer you in return. You are a lovely friendly and helpful lot and I'm grateful to you

Hattie

16/08/2019 02:34:19

Dear bill, Clive, Dave, Pete, Jason

Thanks for your thoughts. Can't say i understand all of your conversation, but interesting and enlightening nonetheless. The body of the boiler is cast iron about an inch thick. The taps are brass. The top chimney looks like a later addition, as it lifts off to reveal about four inches of pipe with a thread, but the chimney is about an inch wider in diameter than the pipe so it does not screw on, it just sits on top of the tank. I can only post photos here that are already online (on eBay), so I can't show you that. I have added here a photo of the inside, which is completely hollow - I suppose it must be missing maybe a copper water tank? As there is currently nowhere for it to hold water. There is a grate for fuel which comes in two so that it can be lifted out of the door.

Thanks again to all for your input, much appreciated.

Hattie

14/08/2019 16:43:34

Ah sorry I forgot, size is roughly 32 inches tall (including chimney), by 10 inches diameter. Thanks for replying.

Hattie

14/08/2019 04:13:44

Please can anyone tell me anything about this boiler? I know nothing and have scoured the internet to no avail. I need to talk to a real person with real knowledge and experience. There is no maker's plate or identifying mark. I feel like it must be quite old as it has some very archaic features, for example the sliding cast iron balls to control the uppermost valve. I have always assumed it's from a steam engine - is this correct? How old might it be? What was its purpose? How did it work? Is it British or perhaps from another country? Who could have made it? And finally how much might I reasonably expect to sell it for? Any and all information would be most gratefully received. Many thanks in advance

Hattie

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate