By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FullaFlava

Here is a list of all the postings FullaFlava has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/08/2019 17:33:29

Funny how the iPhone inverts the images!

Balls! That’s what I tried today, I wanted to scratch build a 90 deg ball valve:

7700ba5a-b65d-43de-8c2c-0d14da8c7ef8.jpeg

9c1c37b0-b27b-4eb2-82bf-81d8b48d8046.jpeg

c07b5bef-7085-42c3-8b58-2fcd0bcef91f.jpeg

Next time I’ll make some flanges and a spindle.

Thread: smooth cut in brass
01/08/2019 17:24:28

I find a round RCMT tipped tool gives a very good finish on brass with 3 added benefits:

1. If you set the tool holder just so you can face, turn and profile to most angles without adjustment.

2. If the tool gets dull or chipped rotate the tip so a fresh part of the edge is bearing on the work.

3. It’s a great radiusing tool.

aaaf55f9-edc4-43b0-a4a3-7a662114d53d.jpeg

Thread: Magnetic base problems
31/07/2019 18:01:13

I can’t remember if this mag base ever worked properly, I bought it at a show many years ago.

8a148430-a23a-4ab9-ac95-b0d35a3ee39a.jpeg

As you tighten the knob the co axial rods are squeezed outwards to push on the ball joints.

f344145c-0e79-4000-b2b3-ad0a132cf622.jpeg

The upper one is loose no matter how I assemble it, it seems the rod is too short

2f22ac19-3887-434e-a68e-16cb3dea2cb8.jpeg

Does anybody have a similar one I could compare to please

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
31/07/2019 17:43:51

Not so much what I’ve done today but lately:

Made a 5c adapter for my myford legacy chucks so I can move them straight from the lathe to the dividing head.

1ba876a7-939d-4924-bf0f-5acf7ba32125.jpeg

2013ae5e-3bc4-4630-b012-7a27dd0c9301.jpeg

Made a caddy to both help attachment of my magnifying light lens and keep the often used tailstock stuff and chuck keys

648c522f-bcd5-487b-8f07-993013d81bf0.jpeg

Made some sleeves so all my boring bars can all use the same tool holder

628a6c54-7cbe-46db-a0e6-86828a5b1b6a.jpeg

24143ffc-4428-4d4a-9beb-1f11880b5c0b.jpeg

Knocked up a board to magnetically attach my tool holders to the collet door

53ce3776-9191-4592-bcb5-da2eb0b7d2d7.jpeg

Tidied my Spaniard and socket drawers

1d930cb4-1509-4103-a472-72b552ab437d.jpeg

6ff369cc-5b11-4731-88d3-b07a38d6489c.jpeg

Still plenty to do

Al

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 14:17:35

Like many it seems, I have a VMC, mine is an older Warco version, which I’ve put a DRO on but I’d like to further upgrade to an inverter drive.

i also have a BCA Mk3 which I haven’t used for some time so am considering moving it on unless a job crops up it’s ideal for.

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 14:11:11

I did my apprenticeship driving Harrison M300s and compared every lathe ive used since to them.

I’ve had 2 Myford super sevens, first without, then with with a norton gearbox. Accurate and nice to use, but always felt they were underpowered and lacking rigidity. Neither had power cross feed either which I missed.

Now have a Taiwanese Hardinge HLV-H clone with DRO, it’s quite new to me and I’ve only had the opportunity to make a few bits and pieces but so far I like it a lot.

Thread: Worm and Wheel manufacture
13/07/2019 16:28:31

Gents,

As I mentioned in my newbie post, I work 2 months away at a time and am due home at the end of this month. I have been attempting to make over the course of many years a scratch built Bolton Triple to the Reeves plans.

As I have a new to me lathe I want to get going on some more, so during this time away I have been going over what I need to do; one of those is the matching set of worm and wheel for the reversing gear. I'm afraid I don't have the plans with me to give specifications.

So I have a lathe, a VMC mill, a dividing head, a bench grinder. I don't envision making the blanks or single point threading the worm wheel to be a problem unless my lathe won't do the pitch as I can grind the tool to the profile I need.

Will I need anything more esoteric than a gear cutter or do I need to enter into the realms of hobs plus who knows what and potential expense for a one off.

Would it be easier to either sub it out to someone who can or buy a set in if available? I would like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks

Thread: New Joiner
02/07/2019 00:40:49
Posted by Bazyle on 01/07/2019 22:13:42:

Cyclematic lathe is a new one on me. I'm sure it will be interesting to hear more about it. Seems to feature a 5C nose and screwcutting retract.

I must say I like it a lot; I’m not home until the end of July to post any pics but the work I’ve done on it so far makes life much easier.

For any that might be interested, it’s a Taiwanese clone of a Hardinge HLV-H, that has a 2 speed continuously variable spindle and a separate feed motor so that you can vary feed or surfacing whilst cutting. The work envelope isn’t huge but it’s plenty for myself and I have use of a Colchester Master 2500 if needed.

The cutting tool retract isn’t something I’ve used when screwcutting so far, as I always cut with the compound parallel to the bed so I can add sidecut. The more useful feature regarding threading apart from the Imperial/metric gearbox is the auto drop out of the feed when threading to a shoulder and not needing to wait for thread dial to come around as when you re-engage the feed the single tooth clutch picks the same point. This means that you can thread at a far higher speed, notionally according to the manual up to 1000 rpm.

Thread: What to do,what to do.
01/07/2019 17:06:30

Hi,

I can’t answer the OP without knowing what he might want to use or expect a 4 Jaw SC to give him that he doesn’t already have.

Something not yet mentioned in the thread as I can see, is the facility a 4J with soft jaws can give you to have no run out repeatability for small items that you can get exactly square in the Chuck without parallels, say for a second operation where you are machining the backside of a number of parted pieces to bring to thickness.

Obviously you can do this with a 3 Jaw with soft jaws also but it is much more difficult to measure the diameter when boring the soft jaws to size.

Thread: New Joiner
01/07/2019 16:52:09

Greetings to the established members, new joiner here but not to engineering.

i have recently re-jigged my garage workshop around and reinvigorated my interest in making things. I’m prevaricating on building a stationary engine but like knocking stuff up and prototype a few things and make some tools and jigs for my buddy.

I have a new to me Cyclematic ctl 618 lathe replacing a Myford super 7, Warco VMC milling machine, small drill press, grinder, linisher and all the associated bits and pieces. My late father also willed me his workshop so I have the use of the equipment but not the skills for wood turning, thickness into, bandsawing and routing.

I work 2 month rotations as a yacht engineer and during my time away from work would like to join the discussions on various subjects to keep my mind in the game as it were.

I quite like the idea of 3D printing and wouldn’t mind dipping my toe in the water if I could decide on projects to make.

I look forward to chatting with you in due course.

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate