By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for bill ellis

Here is a list of all the postings bill ellis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bridgeport vibes
15/04/2019 12:36:56

Many thanks both,

David,

Just tried it with power downfeed and it is exactly the same so I don't think it is anything much worth worrying about, not making any noises just a very small vibration through the handle. I think the dog clutch may be a little worn as that is the only other part in the chain which could possibly contribute. Not a biggie but I may change them out at a later date. Looking at the prices I may give making them a go, I may put a bit of grease rather than oil on them and see if that changes anything.

Buchanman,

It still uses the same drive belt when in back gear (when it is smooth) so I have ruled out belt issues. I will replace the belts as a precaution once I've used it a bit as I don't know the history of the ones on there.

Regards

Bill

14/04/2019 19:52:08

Getting near completion on the step head Bridgeport but I have an interesting symptom and I wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Everything on the head works as it should, except when I use the quill feed lever to manually lower the quill. If the head is set in low range (back gear) and I manually move the quill down everything is silky smooth. If however I'm in high (straight drive via dog clutch) I get a slight vibration through the quill lever, is that normal? No obvious wear in the teeth on the bottom of the splined pulley hub or the bit it engages with. Obviously only when the motor is running, If I stop the motor it is smooth in Low & High.

Any thoughts?

Thread: Using a propane cylinder for partable compressed air.
05/04/2019 20:53:07

If anyone is interested and is in the East Anglia region I have a BA (breathing app) cylinder which I used as an auxiliary storage device before I got a larger compressor, free to a good home. Good for 3000 psi but obviously out of certification. Fair bit heavier than an empty propane bottle.

Thread: Bridgeport part size.
05/04/2019 20:35:31

All sorted, found an old bicycle pedal in my box of bits, just happened to have 3/16 ball bearings in it. I now have a lifetime supply smiley

05/04/2019 18:51:23

Thanks David, I thought it would either be 3/16 or 5/32. Off to the bike shop I go.

Regards

Bill

05/04/2019 17:38:50

Hi all, a little help required, I'm in the process of rebuilding a Bridgeport and I need to find the size of a part.

In the handwheel clutch on the quill housing assembly is a screw with a spring under it which bears on a ball bearing which acts as a detent for the up/down quill feed direction. Someone had fitted a ball bearing which is too large to go fully in the recess and thus was not doing its detent job. The ball bearing is part no ST132 (1402) and I wondered if anyone knows off hand what is the correct size of ball so I may get one from a ball bearing supplier. I may resort to measuring the recess but if anyone knows I would be greatful for the info.

In case you wondered why I do not just order one from a bridgeport spares stockist this is the reason.

Part ST132 steel ball, cost 37p, delivery £7.95 (yes I could not believe it so I rang them up and queried it), VAT £1.67, grand total £9.99 for a single ball bearing, I don't think so.

Cheers

Bill

Thread: Hello all from sunny Suffolk
01/04/2019 21:08:13

Hi Paul, thanks for the offer, would have to be a Thursday or a Sunday where the weather looks like it will be awful. Sunday I'm usually out on my bike or doing grandfather duties.

Regards

Bill

Thread: Bridgeport power feed
31/03/2019 20:42:47

Thanks all for your input, but I think I may have found a way to determine the correct rotation without knackering any internals (and I can't see any rotation markings on the box or motor anywhere). My idea is to put it all back together once its cleaned and oiled and set it back on the end of the table, but leave the motor off the gearbox. Then engage the traverse lever, I should be able to reach the pinion in the box with my finger and move it a little to see which way the table moves, if it moves in the correct direction I will know which way the worm on the end of the motor must turn. To be fair as I've got the box apart I can probably trace the gear motions to work it out that way but I fear that will make my head sting. Looking inside I'm not convinced that running the motor the wrong way would do anything other than make the table go in the wrong direction but I'd rather err on the side of caution as I doubt spares are obtainable if I did faff it up.

B

31/03/2019 08:57:34

What do I make or restore, well that is an interesting question. Over the years I have (in no particular order), Built a Spartan kit car, built a narrowboat (from a shell), built a cedar strip canoe, restored a Myford super 7, countless small jobs and repairs on small machinery items, same on small electrical things. My plans for the Brigeport once completed, still not fully formulated but I might build either a stationary steam engine or a 1/6 scale traction engine. Not sure if the Myford will be big enough for that so I might have to get a Harrison or Colchester lathe devil

Thread: Bridgeport power feed
30/03/2019 21:16:32

Here's hoping someone may be able to help. I have one of the very old gear driven X axis power feeds on my newly aquired Bridgeport mill. The big heavy one where you can select specific feed rates. The previous owner had thoughtfully disconnected the wiring and just left the tails coming out of the motor. Now the motor is a 1/6 hp 3 phase and I'm OK getting it to run but need advice as to which direction it should go. I understand that if the motor is wired to turn the wrong way it will trash the gearbox and cause me further issues. So which way should it be wired to turn? looking directly at the motor with the shaft (with worm on it) pointing towards me, should it turn clockwise or anticlockwise? Does anyone have a definitive answer or can point me to where I may be able to find out.

Heres hoping.

Regards

B

30/03/2019 21:02:16

Hi there, just a quick note to introduce myself. My name is Bill and as per the title I reside in Suffolk (near Bury St Edmunds). I started life as an apprentice in the 70's doing electro mechanical engineering. Moved on to computing/IT/management and am now happily retired. Been building up a workshop in the garage over the last 20 or so years and have just got a Bridgeport from 1965 to replace my old far eastern mill/drill thing. Current project is restoring the Bridgy to its former glory from its current rather tatty appearance. I look forward to some interesting challenges as some bits are worn/missing and I like to make things rather than just buy them (no fun in that). More than happy to get involved in conversations but I'm not really a photographer/vlogger whatever detailing my every move so I wont be doing any restoration sagas (might put up a piccy once its done).

Cheers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate