By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger B

Here is a list of all the postings Roger B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Combined Lathe & Mill
23/11/2017 11:39:10

I started out milling with a vertical slide on the lathe. This worked but travel was limited and setting up was not aided by gravity. Like you I do not have space for a separate mill so I added a milling head. This is certainly a compromise and is not as rigid as a true milling machine, but by removing the lathe chuck and tailstock it has quite reasonable travel for my use. An up to date Hobbymat and TECO mill are available from Pro Machine Tools.

Best regards

Roger

12 in place.jpg

Thread: My first lathe
04/10/2017 11:11:00

The first lathe decision is always difficult.

Buy the biggest/best you can afford is one way of looking at it.

The other thought is buy something that will be sufficient for what you want to start with. If it is not too expensive it won't hurt so much the first time you take a lump out of the bed or cross slide crying You will also have money available for tooling, it's quite easy to spend the same as you spent on the basic lathe. As you gain experience you can then see what features you really need and select another machine that has these. Some of the tooling will be transferable to the new lathe so it won't be like starting from scratch again.

Best regards

Roger

04/10/2017 07:23:31

I started out with one of the generic minilathes and latter added a milling slide designed for the smaller Clarke lathe by drilling and tapping 4 holes in the cross slide. There are a couple of pictures in my album milling slide.

What are you intending to make on this lathe?

Best regards

Roger

Thread: Warco or Hobbymat MD65
27/09/2017 07:13:05

I started out with an Einhell Minilathe and then moved on to a Hobbymat with milling head.

The Hobbymat is more rigid and better finished but is slightly smaller. The headstock is MT2 and around 12mm bore. The Minilathe has MT3 and around 19mm bore. The low speed kit for the Hobbymat is still available but the tumbler reverse if you want it would have to be found secondhand. Other accessories may also be harder to find.

What are you intending to make, this my help guide your decision?$

Best regards

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate