By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for C T

Here is a list of all the postings C T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for 150mm CBN or Diamond wheel with flat side surface 15mm+
09/04/2023 15:31:06

Hi

It's good to see you are just about fixed with your wheel.

I have in the past used a company located in Totnes they manufacture standard wheels and will manufacture them to your specification as well.

http://bridge-abrasives.co.uk/index.html

Edited By C T on 09/04/2023 15:34:51

Thread: Sunbeam B24 350cc 1939
18/01/2023 16:10:43
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 17/01/2023 12:39:49:

CT wrote " having restored a number of motorcycles over the years but not for a while.................Can anyone point to publications, website or general information about this route. "

Likewise, I too have restored a few Brit bikes ~~ but not for a while. It is your request to be pointed to publications etc that I'll offer some - no doubt unhelpful - suggestions.

sunbeam.jpg
I still have, gathering dust behind me now, bound magazines from 1982 until about 5 years later. They include Classic Bike, Classic Mechanics, Classic Motorcycle. Within them there is a wealth of information on restoration.
(Note to self - really must get rid before the Grim Reaper appears).
There is an index for CB (Jan 83) and it suggests there's an article on the Sunbeam model 9 in the April/May 1981 edition. Unfortunately, that's a year before my collection began.
I did come across an advert for "Atlantic Motor Cycles" in Jun 86 of CB offering for sale a "Sunbeam , 1930 Mod G for £2,000 ~ what does that equate to in 2023?
In the Classic MotorCycle of May 1983, there is an informative article "A Glint of Sunbeams". I'm unsure of copyright issues but think if it's for your private study, I could copy it. PM me if wanted.

I would though recommend you have a look for such magazines of FleaBay and the like.

Thank you for the scans the article is interesting. I do believe that 10% is the allowed max to copy under copyright rules so the article is under 10% of the magazine.

Regards CT

18/01/2023 10:01:11

Wow I am shocked at the prices.

17/01/2023 10:48:08
Posted by george baker 1 on 16/01/2023 23:24:13:

Hi CT

if you have the inclination to re-commision the bike please do. It will cost more than you could sell it for, but you will have a bike with history.

An approach, if there are family problems is-

Agree a value that people are happy with, as it is now. Then document all the parts and services used and agree a nominal value of your time, before you start, (start by asking what a nail bar, hairdressers or garage charges per hour). When it's running get a valuation and share the profit (LOSS) among the heirs.

Your time, includes ringing around, going to autojumbles for parts, travel to take and collect parts from plater, dvla time, MoT for safety sake, trip to tyre fitters, time on line, etc.

Time = 350 hours? couple of hours midweek? a day at weekend? £20/hour? = £7K

Parts-- At Least -- Battery, tyres, Chain, Sprockets, Lamps, cables, Penetrating oil, Oil, Fuel, Carb rebuild, Club membership, parts book, MoT , Filter? or slinger?, = £500?

Parts -- Possible-- Seat re-covering, Wheel rebuild, Painting, Plating, Magneto rebuild, tank repair = Dont Ask.

Good luck

George

George

Thak you for the heads up. Lots to think about.

No family issues only me, I will be the o ly issue over thinking everything.

16/01/2023 19:20:04
Posted by Robert Butler on 16/01/2023 18:04:14:

CT if the estate is significant I would obtain the valuation in writing, even if zero and hand to the solicitor but keep it with the estate papers. HMRC are increasingly looking at valuations and "missing" estate property and are not noted for their stupidity. I have acted as an Executor on five occassions over the last 50 years and am reasonably up to speed with Protocol.

Robert Butler

Edited By Robert Butler on 16/01/2023 18:05:21

Thanks this has been done.

16/01/2023 19:18:30

Thank you for all your feedback and . I am sure I would be capable of restoring the Sunbeam to a high standard, having restored a number of motorcycles over the years but not for a while.
The cost of the work is not the demotivating factor it's the time it will take.
Scrapping it is NOT an option either just an attention grabbing title.
I do like the idea of freezing the condition as the "barn find look" but roadworthy and safe.
I believe this route for me will be more difficult,trying to curb the urge to polish, paint, chrome to within an inch of its life.
Can anyone point to publications, website or general information about this route.

16/01/2023 17:36:07
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 16/01/2023 17:03:28:

The BSA on my Avatar was very incomplete and in worse condition than the Sunbeam when I started to rebuild it.

Lots of happy hours in the workshop have a value to me, sure I would lose money if I sold it but that misses the point.Rebuild for mechanical reliability and safety that will keep its value up and not consume thousands on cosmetics. Do you know if the engine turns ?

Yes the Engine turns over fine.

15/01/2023 20:22:54
Posted by vintage engineer on 15/01/2023 20:04:42:

Don't restore it. Put some new tyres on it, get running and use it as it is!

I would just love to do that.

15/01/2023 20:21:38
Posted by Robert Butler on 15/01/2023 19:48:12:

CT the parts may not be as elusive as you think. There appears to be an owners club - but it has a far wider membership and appeal. Potential buyers would die for a machine as complete as this. Don't you dare scrap it!

Robert Butler

Edited By Robert Butler on 15/01/2023 19:48:40

As part of the probate process I have needed a valuation. I tried three dealers one recommended by the solicitors each with laughter said "no value bud far beyond resurrection".

Hence my question.

15/01/2023 19:33:32
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/01/2023 16:48:25:

Is it being restored as hobby or to make money. If the latter, one in rather better condition has an expected auction price of £3,400 - 3,800. So worth doing if it can be restored, time and parts, for that sort of money.

But plenty of people enjoy bringing old vehicles back to life, and for them the hobby aspect of restoration offsets the financial negatives considerably. Horrible to spend months slaving to fix up an old banger in hope of a handsome profit only to find no-one wants it! Another thing entirely to get months of pleasure out of a fascinating hobby, with no need to worry about filthy lucre.

Dave

Dave, I would love to see it restored but having looked on the Internet for part suppliers I couldn't find any. Any parts would have to be made. OK I could make some of the parts myself but any Engine wise now they could be expensive.

15/01/2023 17:36:28

This SUNBEAM is one of six bikes I have inherited after the death of my farther in law.

The SUNBEAM would be the biggest project by far.

The others are

1 Honda P50

2 Honda C90

3 Raleigh runabout

4 James autocycle

5 Trojan autocycle

All are complete and apparently to have been stored from running but stored for many years.

15/01/2023 17:28:21
Posted by old mart on 15/01/2023 16:35:37:

That bike is in perfect shape for restoration, everything standard. The only parts that need scrapping are the tyres and tubes.

There is a never ending thread on motorcycle related themes, this one would be better there.

Can this post be moved to a more appropriate place please?

15/01/2023 16:29:27

Should this be restored or scrapped?

It is all there but the condition is in the best eday fashion used.stored for 50+ years time has not been its friend.20220707_121613.jpg20220707_122801.jpg20220707_122831.jpg

Thread: Lathe spindle bearing selection
15/12/2022 17:56:31
Posted by old mart on 15/12/2022 17:46:23:

With a DTI on the toolpost and your solid carbide bar in the chuck, you can run along the front of the bar to get a good idea whether the headstock is still aligned with the bed. There are better alignment bars about, but what you have already will get you 99% perfect even before taking a test cut. A length of aluminium bar that will just pass through the chuck bore would be good for a test cut. It would be as stiff as you can get and also be clamped by the full length of jaws. With a projection of about 150mm and a very light cut you can compare the diameters at both machined ends of the bar for final alignment. Allowing for flexure, the diameter furthest from the chuck would be plus 0.02mm or better than the chuck end.

Edited By old mart on 15/12/2022 17:49:00

Thank you old mart I will work on that tomorrow.

I will post the findings hopefully it will be acceptable first time fingers crossed.

15/12/2022 17:07:55

Thank you all,

I have replaced the M8 bolts securing the headstock to the bed with longer high tensile ones and have 3Xbolt dia engaged in the bed. I am much happier now. Not able to use a torque wrench, I had to reduce the Short leg of an Allen key to get into the ones at the back but they are tight now.

The new FAG bearings are fitted and greased as per advice given.

The spindle is fully assembled in the machine and adjusted until no end float indicated just no pre load as such.

I have not run the motor yet, ran out of time.

Will work on it again tomorrow making adjustments as necessary to thr spindle but it dose feel very smooth when turned by hand.

When I fitted the drive belt I could feel either the belt flexing or perhaps it's the motor I don't know.

Thanks again for all your advice.

14/12/2022 17:09:27

Thank you all for your responses masses of information to go on there.

This is the position I am now in, with a request for some additional assistance please.

I have now cleaned down the whole assembly and it appears to me that the bearing that has failed (it is the one nearest the chuck) has been running hot as it has a brown tinge to it like heat has been applied and little to no lubricant compared to the bearing at the other end.

Before attempting the next procedure I checked and adjusted the slides on the saddle, cross slide, compound slide, tool post until I was happy that no play existed and the machine was still useable (not stiff to turn the handles)

I did attempt to adjust the preload of the bearings before dismantling what I did was fix in the chuck a Dia 20mm solid carbide bar aprox 300mm long (internal boring bar) with a DTI gauge measure the amount I was able to deflect (I am believing the carbide bar will not flex under finger pressure).

The amount I was able deflect the bar measured aprox 240mm from the chuck jaws was + 0.125mm - 0.125mm with not to much force from me. The gauge always returned to zero as I removed the pressure from the carbide bar. I also tried to push and pull the spindle in the Z axis with a total movement in this direction of 0.03mm. Slackening the locking grub screw on the spindle locking ring and using a C spanner I made incremental tightening of the spindle. Checking the end float and the ability to deflect the carbide bar. The end float reduced to zero but I was still able to deflect the carbide bar + 0.08mm - 0.08mm. At this point whilst rotating the chuck I could feel it was notchy so decide4d there was an issue with the bearings and went no further, the plan was to replace the bearings. If I am honest I have never been happy with the machine always chasing size and surface texture on the more precise workpieces.

The bearings on the machine as purchased are NBGE 32007 . P6. I do not know the quality of these bearings but were unable to find a supplier locally.

I have purchased a FAG32007-XDY-XL bearing and the lubricant multi purpose lithium high temperature grease. I am confident in reassembling the spindle and adjusting the preload.

With the lathe spindle removed and all cleaned down the front cover of the headstock removed I was able to see two of the bolts securing the headstock to the lathe bed. With an allen key in hand I decided to check the tightness of these two M8 bolts. The result was they were not at all tight I would describe them a nipped up very little pressure required to tighten them further. At this point I removed one and found it came out with only a few turns. placing the bolt back in the hole without any screwing in the gap between the head of the cap screw and the casting was 5mm. So only 5mm of thread would be engaged when fully tightened, I checked the depth of the threaded part in the bed and found that the M8x 25mm set screw could be replaced with a bolt of up to 40mm in length.

So now my question is should I change the bolts for longer ones and I am thinking M8X35mm one at a time so the head is never loose. I am unable to get a torque wrench in so its by feel tight of very tight.

This was probably the main reason for the poor performance of the lathe but a cracked bearing needed to be rectified.

12/12/2022 19:04:31
Posted by HOWARDT on 12/12/2022 18:59:33:

None on your website mention P6 bearing tolerance, but seems plenty elswhere. You could also obtain correct grease from the bearing supplier chosen.

What is P6 referring to?

12/12/2022 19:02:57

Old mart,

Thank you for the Information very useful, I can work with that.

12/12/2022 18:15:55

I have decided to replace the spindle bearings on my Chester DB10 due to surface texture issues. Not before time either, one of the inner races is cracked.

The bearings are NBGE 32007 P6.

A supplier local to me has a selection to choose from, the link below is to their page.

Is any one of these more suitable than the others for use on a lathe?

Also what grease should I use? No oil feed to the bearings on this lathe.

https://www.engineersmate.com/search.aspx?s=32007

Thank you in advance

Thread: Chester machine tool machines
09/04/2022 17:48:57

Chester customer service is not the best say no more.

Chester 3 In 1 is for sale on this site in the machines for sale by members based in the west midlands sounds good value and you don't need to have Chester customer service

Edited By C T on 09/04/2022 17:50:25

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate