By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick D

Here is a list of all the postings Mick D has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Obtaining Nord-Lock washers from a seller who knows what they are
12/11/2021 17:00:13

Hi

Grampian fasteners will sort you out with genuine Nordlok washers, which, in my experience are supplied as two components adhered together.

Regards Mick

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
19/05/2019 12:47:12

Hi

Acme Stainless supply machined BSF nuts

Regards Mick

Thread: An adhesive question
28/05/2017 07:32:33

Hi

From experience, the best type of 'adhesive' for this situation, in my opinion, is polysulphide sealant, applied as soon as possible, (within a minute if possible), after degreasing and lightly abrading the surfaces to be joined.

Done correctly it will last 'forever' as you'll find out should you ever wish to remove it.

Regards Mick

Thread: Warco 1236 v 1322/30
20/05/2017 08:07:35

Nope - still 720 characters too large! Sorry

20/05/2017 08:04:08

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I have already compared the specs of the 3 lathes and probably narrowed it down to the 1236 or 13330 based on the distance between centres. The two lathes are fairly similar and the differences don't seem to justify the price differential, especially when the DRO is taken into consideration. My biggest concern is opting for the 1236 which, on the face of things seems the better value, only to regret the choice later when experience highlights something I hadn't considered due to lack of experience at this time.

I'm aware that I will need additional tooling and have this factored in to the overall cost, thanks.

Tried to attach my comparison table but it exceeds the number of characters allowed - will try in another post.

Regards Mick

19/05/2017 16:49:21

Hi

I'm getting closer to purchasing my lathe. It will be for hobby use and I feel the specs of the Warco 1236 / 1322/30 will meet my requirements, however I'm struggling to reconcile the price difference between these lathes, (especially when considering the additional DRO).

What am I missing? are the 1322/30 better engineered machines / do they offer better functionality to justify the higher price? Would I benefit from this in hobby use?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Regards Mick

Thread: I don't know the name of this component bolt/pin?
04/03/2017 16:58:02

Hi

Try searching for clevis pin

Regards Mick

Thread: A coping saw for metal
18/03/2014 16:18:36

If a piercing saw is too small for your needs you could look at abrafile blades

Thread: Chester Machine tools - blood from a stone?
31/01/2014 10:50:46

I'm glad the OPs issue seems to have been sorted.

On a happier note,I purchased two clamping kits earlier this month, I had to phone as the web site would not permit online ordering. I spoke to a nice person in 'accounts' who, whilst it was not her responsibility, took my order - the goods arrived three days later.

I'm a satisfied customer who will have no hesitation in using Chester in the future.

Thread: drilling steel with 230v hand drill
03/08/2013 10:50:44

Hi - Are you able to weld a lever onto the remains of the bolt? The heat will break the 'bond' and you'll be able to wind out the thread with the lever. - Regards Mick

Thread: riveted tube
27/06/2013 17:02:07

Yes - react the rivets as per in aircraft construction. Any reasonably massive block will sufice to form the backs. No need for a jig, just a mate to hold the reaction block if you don't have a pneumatic rivet gun. Regards Mick

Thread: ER Collet chuck or normal Morse Taper Collets
22/04/2013 18:25:50

Hi - Yet another thumbs up for CTC, bought from them direct and goods delivered in about a week. I'm pretty sure CTC use the same Far East manufacturers as some UK suppliers.

Thread: Acceptable Quality
06/01/2013 11:39:39

Hi

Well, I've bitten the bullet and ordered an ER 25 set and a couple of chucks from CTC, hopefully I'll be as pleased with the quality and service others have reported.

Many Thanks Mick

01/01/2013 11:52:17

Hi

Thanks for the advice all - very interesting, I notice that the CTC and ARC ER 25 2MT chucks seem to be identical from their photographs, (thanks for bringing CTC to my attention John - I had not come across them before). Can anyone else advise of their dealings with CTC? are there issues with import duty?

I wonder if there is any substance in thinking that the majority of tooling produced in the far east comes from the same factory and is just re-badged / marked up when it reaches the west.

Norman, (NJH), I am reading Gazely, Watch and Clock Making and Repairing and J Malcolm Wild's Wheel and Pinion Cutting but if you think it would be wise to also read one of John Wilding's books I would be more than willing to do so, do you have a suggestion as to which would be most beneficial?

Regards Mick

Thread: Gluing Acrylic sheet
31/12/2012 18:20:33

Hi

Acetone is a solvent for acrylics, it will wick into the crack if it is fine.

Regards Mick

Thread: Acceptable Quality
30/12/2012 13:26:25

Hi

I think I've narrowed down my first ME project to either Alan Timmins' Eight Day Longcase Clock or one of Peter Heimann's Regulators so I need to source the additional tooling I require.

Hopefully this will be the start of an ongoing interest in ME and as such I wish to purchase tooling of sufficient quality as to not require upgrading in the future but equally which will not break the bank.I currently have a Warco Mini Lathe and an Axminster CQ6230B to which I will probably add a Warco VMC mill in the near future.

One of the first purchases I need to make are collets and a chuck, (I have decided on an ER25 set), but I am concerned at the significant price difference between suppliers. How would you suggest I decide which to purchase? Are Soba / Vertex items of sufficient quality / tolerance or should I be considering more costly options? I will also be in the market for a rotary table quite soon, so would be interested in any similar advice with regard to this purchase.

Regards Mick

Thread: Please assist with my fist mill choice
06/11/2012 17:40:53

Hi Clive

Was your machine a special offer? The web site does not list any accessories - are these things 'negotiable' at shows?

Regards Mick

04/11/2012 17:28:51

Hi

Thanks to all for the advice and the generous offer from Victor, (I'm 30 miles North of Aberdeen so it would be a bit of a trek but I'll bear it in mind if I'm down that way thanks Victor).

I think I'm going to have to try to get to a show and see the machines first hand - looks like London in January.

Regards Mick

27/10/2012 17:06:26

Hi

I've decided it's time to buy my first mill so I've been reading all I can find on this excellent forum and elsewhere, however I'm still not sure which model to go for. I think I've narrowed it down to a choice of three machines: Warco VMC, Warco VM 18 and Seig Super X3L. They all appear to be capable machines with differing features, weight, variable speed, capacity etc. and the only one I'm on the point of discounting is the WM 18 as it does not offer an R8 spindle option.

Which machine would members choose and for what reason?

Is there another machine I should be considering in this price range, (up to £1,700)?

Other considerations: I don't have 3ph on site, I'm not aware of any localish shows I could attend, I live in the North East of Scotland, and I would prefer to buy a new mill.

Regards Mick

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate