By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Longley 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Longley 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What do i need for my new setup
08/01/2016 07:38:25

One of my other problems is indexable tooling. If I buy a , say, L hand cutter & forget who I got it from then how can i tell if I can get matching bits somewhere else. In other words are bits graded for shape & size somehow as well as material to be cut?

I do have a single indexible cutter but the bits are pretty useless. If for instance I am taking the first cut on a slightly out of shape round & the bit misses then hits it breaks the tips immediately. I had some carbide tools that did the same on the lightest of cuts. Even on very light cuts. I seem to get infinitely better results with HSS ground myself

I do not understand why when i see tipped milling cutters cutting on part of a radius then missing part of the circumfrence then cutting again they do not break as they suddenly hit the material. All mine have!!

08/01/2016 07:29:24
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 07/01/2016 10:44:53:

Don't be put off using carbide tooling, just be careful what you buy. There is a lot of poor stuff out there, either old stock or poorly made stuff.

Doug

But how does a beginner know what is Ok & what is not. Just paying more money does not always mean that I will get a fair return

06/01/2016 19:35:58
Posted by Bazyle on 06/01/2016 19:22:42:

"

Plus you can prepare the shed with wiring alarms, insulation and a dehumidifier.

Already done Have just spent £8 K on a new workshop 22 ft * 11 ft with insulated walls & roof, excellent lighting, sockets at every 600mm along each wall, radiant heaters lots of racking. windows, metal side door. It is in addition to my old garage which will still house excess tools etc so new shop is not cluttered. So i now have a total of 500 ft square of workshop space in 2 buildings side by side

06/01/2016 17:27:57

Thanks for the comments . Please keep them coming. cash is not really a limit .I want to get as much now as possible but not waste on stuff i might never use

I will look at larger milling machines but having never used one I am not familiar as to what i actually need

I have never heard of an arrand tailstock holder so need to research that one.

As for the mill & a driven table -It is the sort of thing one never thinks of

For instance i have seen a youtube video where the author recommends a variable speed lathe motor because although one thinks one will change gear easily one sometimes does not bother & runs at the wrong speed . I have found that i have done precisely that on my Drummond

I had intended to get morse tapers because I have a couple of morse chucks plus live centre. i also assumed the lathe would have morse tapers in the head & tailstock. Clearly it would be prudent to stick to the same taper --- or would it ???

I already have a 220mm diam 4 jaw chuck. Just need a spare face plate to mount it on

I will get some end mills but not many until I get an idea of quality. I will also get a set of clamps & possibly adjustable packers

I was advised by a toolmaker years ago not to bother with carbide tipped tools on a small lathe as they are not as sharp as tool steel & need lots of power. Is this still the case. i have certainly lost a few tips on my old Colchester lathe

Are indexable tools worth it - I assume quality of tips could be an issue - How will I know what make to get - presumably a make that i can get spare tips easily-- any advice on manufacturer with reasonable pricing please?

05/01/2016 18:56:02

Well after many years I am now in a position to buy a new lathe & a mill. I have owned a large Colchester which i used for a variety of jobs on my machinery & I have had a Drummond M type for the last 40 years which I have used for threading. ( That will be up for sale in the next month)

So i do have a few old tools & cutters but nothing of any real significance as most went when i moved home. ( plus I now I am retired I have the time & a new workshop)

I have had the castings for a Stuart 10 v for 40 years & have been saving it for now that I can get the kit to machine it properly. So it will be the first project

I am off to the exhibition at Ally Pally on Friday 15Th & will be buying a Warco ( I think the ref is a 240 or 250) along with a milling machine. I will be looking at a milling mahine in the £7-800 mark. ( do not know what one yet)I have about £ 3-3.5K to spend so my question is this:-

Given that i will have a bit to spare- i intend to get a quick change tool post as well. But what else should I consider for first purchase along with my lathe & mill.

I am talking about the very first items & I do not want to find I have made silly choices

Any advice greatly appreciated

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate