By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Milling Machine Wobbler engine
22/09/2018 12:59:48

This little project was completed for work, when someone made me a bet that I couldn't make a running engine using only a milling machine.

Many of the apprentices made this successfully and goes to prove you don't always need a lathe to do the round bits.

Please have a look at the album and when I get a couple I'll write up the build log.

Regards

Edited By FMES on 22/09/2018 13:00:12

Edited By JasonB on 22/09/2018 13:15:05

Thread: R8 Collet storage
22/09/2018 11:48:09

As I have dry lined walls in my workshop I used Terry clips screwed to the wall

dsc_0012.jpg

**LINK**

It wouldn't be too difficult to get a bunch of these  and screw them to a piece of ply etc

Regards

Edited By FMES on 22/09/2018 11:58:42

Edited By FMES on 22/09/2018 12:08:00

Thread: Boiler terminology
15/09/2018 22:13:32
Posted by Chuck Pickering on 15/09/2018 22:07:46:

I believe the ball is stainless, it came from a ball bearing...

Very doubtful.

Thread: Unknown castings
10/09/2018 19:06:04
Posted by Bandersnatch on 10/09/2018 18:13:35:
Posted by Lou Powderly on 04/09/2018 16:56:00:

Another strange thing is that the cradle shaped casting is too long to fit between the cylinder casting's flanges which is where I imagined it to be used.

Could it actually be two separate parts connected by a casting sprue which has not yet been cut off? Each part seems to have its own mounting holes so I don't really see the point of the connecting bar.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 10/09/2018 18:15:03

Something needs to hold the cylinder in place, and as you say, cast as one piece for cutting later.

Edited By FMES on 10/09/2018 19:07:02

Thread: QCTP Operation
30/08/2018 06:44:08

It depends on what position / tool holder is used, the handle will move accordingly, sometimes putting it in an inconvenient position.

Its a bit awkward when using multi-tools at the same time.

Regards

Thread: Clarkson's Horizontal Compound
29/08/2018 07:51:55

Hi John, am I guessing you are running on air?

There is no expansion available using air so the pressure supplied to the second cylinder wil be lower, also you are relying on the exhaust from the first engine to be exactly in time with the inlet to the second.

If the two cylinders are the same bore then I would suggest that you run it as a 'twin' rather than a compound.

Regards

Thread: Pultra bits
27/08/2018 16:28:19

Hi All,

Just spotted this on one of the local auction sites **LINK**

Might be useful

Regards

Thread: Solder..?
23/08/2018 12:15:04
Posted by Circlip on 23/08/2018 11:59:07:

Wonder in the age of push fit joints how many "Plumbers" are capable of making a good "Yorkshire" or "Lancashire" joint?????

For the benefit of our readers and contravening thoughts of "Yorkshireness", WE put a solder ring INSIDE the fitting BEFORE supplying it to the trade, unlike those west of the Pennines.

Regards Ian.

Probably why they're called 'Yorkshire' Fittings!

Thread: Restoring a steel cam lobe
23/08/2018 06:41:39

Tim,

Have you considered Plasma Spraying? we used it on aircraft engine crankshafts to rebuild when badly scored, and then grind back to the original profile.

No reason why your cam couldn't be built up and then sent for re grinding.

Just a thought

Regards

Thread: Foden overtype wagon
22/08/2018 14:44:54

Before you consider scrapping the boiler, consider if it was constructed correctly to the current drawings at the time. There is aboslutely nothing stopping it being hydraulically tested to the load you require, and 'if' it fails you will have your answer.

Regards

Thread: Pen names
19/08/2018 08:50:32

I thought he used a 'Waterman'

Sorry, devil

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
18/08/2018 10:46:18
Posted by Circlip on 18/08/2018 10:19:43:

"Ahhh yes, the ownership of a Land Rover usually requires the owner to have a good degree of engineering knowledge and ability."

No, the owners usually have half a brain cell but EMPLOY the technical attributes. No one with more than half would consider buying a plague pit.

Regards Ian.

Never had any problems with mine for 22 years, Perhaps my half a brain cell works better than a full brain.

18/08/2018 10:05:19
Posted by RevStew on 17/08/2018 13:21:31:

"Some of the wealthiest people I know are dreadfully dishevelled. Sole flapping off a shoe, faded red trousers and some creaking Daihatsu Fourtrack (not a Land Rover, never a Land Rover)."

Edited By RevStew on 17/08/2018 13:21:55

Ahhh yes, the ownership of a Land Rover usually requires the owner to have a good degree of engineering knowledge and ability.

16/08/2018 22:37:59

Despite best efforts within a large engineering training school it has been painfully obvious with only a very few exceptions, that the youth of today are not particularly interested in anything that cannot be completed immediately and only by the use of their thumbs.

I recall only one lad that actually had a natural interest in all things engineering and that was out of around three hundred apprentices that passed through the school.

Nowadays the tendency is 'learn something, sit the exam and forget it' very little recall, and a great deal of skill fade if not practised for a couple of weeks.

These guys, and gals for that matter, are taught differently in schools today, and anything practical that harks back to anything steam related (Nuclear excepted) just isn't interesting to them.

I used to get them to build a small oscillating engine using only hand tools and the milling machine, and despite their apparent wonder when it actually ran on completion, their next question woiuld in the main be 'How much could I get for it on ebay'

But its not just Model Engineering, Crafts on the whole are dissapearing.

Sad really.

Thread: Welding issue for a newbie
11/08/2018 21:11:27

Have you by any chance stuck the welding wire to the feed nozzle?

Get a pair of pliars and pull the wire off the end.

Sometimes this happens and the feed stops, but the actual feed motor is still running with the feed roller slipping on the wire.

Regards

Thread: How would you fix this?
11/08/2018 21:06:57
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 11/08/2018 19:21:14:
Posted by FMES on 11/08/2018 10:20:35:
Posted by not done it yet on 10/08/2018 20:28:28:

And it is ‘softened’, not soft.

Only when it has gone through a ‘softener’.

Calcium and Magnesium, as dissolved salts, are likely (on balance) better for us than extra common salt, or nothing at all, in the supply. Brewers like some calcium sulphate in their brewing water supply, as well.

The post was referring to softened water, - that which had been processed through a 'softener'.

Your statement that calcium salts were replaced by Sodium salts simply isn't true.

The Brine solution is used to 'clean' the anionic resin which has captured the unwanted minerals during use, at the end of a cycle, and is known as a resin regeneration.

This 'regeneration' washes the brine / mineral mix to the drain and is followed in the norm by at least two pure water rinses including a backwash, to remove any trace of the sodium from the resin tank.

So in effect while you may not be getting additional calcium , magnesium and additional dissolved salts, you aren't as I said before, getting any more sodium in a glass of softened water than you are in a glass of cows milk.

Regards

Is that true FMES? Just checked my memory with Wikipedia which says:

Conventional water-softening appliances intended for household use depend on an ion-exchange resin in which "hardness ions"—mainly Ca2+ and Mg2+—are exchanged for sodium ions.[6] As described by NSF/ANSI Standard 44,[7] ion-exchange devices reduce the hardness by replacing magnesium and calcium (Mg2+ and Ca2+) with sodium or potassium ions (Na+ and K+).

I thought the Calcium and Magnesium ions ended up in the resin leaving the anions to bond with Sodium and thus stay dissolved in the water. This paper also says Sodium ends up in the water, and gives figures.

Is the confusion between two different types of softener? Are household system softeners always osmosis types (which do remove Sodium as well), as opposed to the resin type in my dishwasher?

No need to panic people, theoretical discussion. Softeners are believed safe unless your doctor tells you different, which is unlikely.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 11/08/2018 19:22:44

Dave,

Your paper is quite correct, the Ion exchange process does indeed add a small amount of Sodium to the outlet water by the way of Ion exchange, but NOT as a result of using the brine to regenerate the resin.

Quote "

In other words, if your water test tells you that you have 18 grains per gallon hardness, installing a water softener will add about 35 milligrams of sodium to each 8 oz. glass of water you drink.

To put this in perspective, a tablespoon of catsup has 204 mg. of sodium and a slice of whole wheat bread has 211."

**LINK**

Household softeners are not normally reverse osmosis types.

Regards

11/08/2018 10:20:35
Posted by not done it yet on 10/08/2018 20:28:28:

And it is ‘softened’, not soft.

Only when it has gone through a ‘softener’.

Calcium and Magnesium, as dissolved salts, are likely (on balance) better for us than extra common salt, or nothing at all, in the supply. Brewers like some calcium sulphate in their brewing water supply, as well.

The post was referring to softened water, - that which had been processed through a 'softener'.

Your statement that calcium salts were replaced by Sodium salts simply isn't true.

The Brine solution is used to 'clean' the anionic resin which has captured the unwanted minerals during use, at the end of a cycle, and is known as a resin regeneration.

This 'regeneration' washes the brine / mineral mix to the drain and is followed in the norm by at least two pure water rinses including a backwash, to remove any trace of the sodium from the resin tank.

So in effect while you may not be getting additional calcium , magnesium and additional dissolved salts, you aren't as I said before, getting any more sodium in a glass of softened water than you are in a glass of cows milk.

Softened water also helps with the reduction of eczema in children when used for washing purposes.

Regards

09/08/2018 14:19:36
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 09/08/2018 12:54:03:
Posted by FMES on 09/08/2018 12:41:44:
Posted by not done it yet on 09/08/2018 12:25:02:

If you go the whole house route for a water softener, consider plumbing in the loo (as well as the drinking water supply before the softener) straight from the mains. It will save you a lot of salt.

By the way, whats wrong with drinking softened water?

Tastes nasty and has extra Sodium in it (The Calcium salts causing hardness are replaced by Sodium salts.) No problem for a fit young man, not so good if the doc has ordered you to reduce Sodium.

Soft water is good for cleaning and boilers, not cooking.

Dave

For info, there is less sodium in a glass of softened water than there is in a glass of cows milk.

So is not in any way harmful to adults, although there is the said recommendation for not giving it to babies, although a decent RO Filter will take out any impurities that may have been left behind.

The water company will also make a recommendation to keep one tap 'untreated' as they cannot guarantee the quality of the product if additional conditioning / treatment is carried out after theirs.

And its 'softened' not soft.

09/08/2018 12:41:44

If you go the whole house route for a water softener, consider plumbing in the loo (as well as the drinking water supply before the softener) straight from the mains. It will save you a lot of salt.

By the way, whats wrong with drinking softened water?

09/08/2018 12:38:00

Salt is a lot cheaper than loo cleaner, and have you looked inside your cisterns lately?

Softened water will keep it spotless.

Regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate